At Philips, we strive to make the world healthier and more sustainable through innovation. Our goal is to improve the lives of 3 billion people a year by 2025. To guide our efforts and measure our progress, we take a two-dimensional approach – social and ecological – to improving people’s lives. Products and solutions from our portfolio that directly support the curative (care) or preventive (well-being) side of people’s health, determine the contribution to the social dimension. As healthy ecosystems are also needed for people to live a healthy life, the contribution to the ecological dimension is determined by means of our Green Product portfolio, such as our energy-efficient lighting. In 2015, we improved the lives of 2.0 billion people, an increase of approximately 140 million compared to 2014.
Success of our EcoVision program
Green Product sales increased further in 2015 to 54%, up from 50% in 2013, driven by investments in Green Innovation. In 2015, Philips invested some EUR 495 million in Green Innovation. Lighting continued to be the largest contributor, mainly as a result of investments in LED.
Healthy people, sustainable planet
On June 20, 2016, we launched the next 5-year sustainability program named Healthy people, sustainable planet. In this new program, we have set ambitious targets in order to retain our leadership in sustainability. The key targets for 2020 are:
- Increase Lives Improved to 2.5 billion people per year
- 70% of turnover from green revenues / 15% from circular revenues
- Carbon neutral operations, 100% renewable electricity
- 90% of operational waste recycled / zero waste to landfill
- Striving for a zero injuries and zero illness work environment
- Supplier sustainability program with all suppliers