Andover, Mass – Royal Philips Electronics (NYSE: PHG, AEX: PHI) is delivering the next generation of care from the hospital to the home with innovative solutions that support the health and well-being of mothers and their babies. With a primary focus on mother and child care, Philips is showcasing its commitment to developmental care—a holistic approach to caring for mothers and their babies before, during and after a newborn enters the world—at MEDICA, the world’s largest medical trade fair, taking place in Dusseldorf, Germany November 16-19.
Philips created the Integrative Developmental Care Model, an evidence- based framework, to express the development philosophy for its innovative solutions and programs, which are designed to support and nurture mothers and their babies.The new model reinforces the importance of delivering safe and effective care in a manner that meets the physiological and developmental needs of each newborn and every family.
“Philips has been a provider of solutions for mothers and their babies for more than 40 years,” said David Russell, general manager, Mother & Child Care, for Philips Healthcare. “With our Integrative Developmental Care model, we have a unique opportunity to work with health care professionals to support developmental care across the continuum of care—not just for babies born prematurely, but for all mothers and babies throughout pregnancy, neonatal care and pediatric care. By continuing to provide innovative technologies, the model underscores our commitment to advancing the role of developmental care for families.”
Philips Mother & Child Care solutions focus on three areas of care:
- Pregnancy, and Labor and Delivery: Philips ultrasound imaging, fetal and maternal monitoring and obstetrical (OB) clinical informatics systems allow clinicians to manage patient care for mothers and babies from the very beginning of pregnancy. These solutions deliver the clinical information clinicians need to help provide the best possible care for expectant mothers and their babies.
- Postnatal, Neonatal and Pediatric Care: Philips offers a wide range of products and educational services to support developmental care for premature babies, healthy newborns and hospitalized pediatric patients. The Philips Mother & Child Care portfolio includes therapeutic support products for high risk infants with the ergonomics and access to help create a more womb-like environment. It also includes jaundice management, feeding and safety and respiratory products, neonatal and pediatric ICU monitoring and neonatal and pediatric clinical informatics systems to help improve and save lives of this critical patient population and encourage family-centered care.
- Care at Home: Philips delivers innovative solutions that make the parenting experience simpler. Philips provides both consumer and hospital-grade solutions, including prescription home monitoring, therapy and feeding solutions to help ease the transition from hospital to home. The Philips AVENT portfolio features a wide range of products including breast pumps and accessories, infant and toddler feeding solutions, pacifiers, monitors and sterilizers.
Technologies showcase innovative, clinically-proven solutions for Mother & Child Care
- Philips Avalon FM fetal and maternal monitor with Smart Pulse is the first solution to provide a new source for automatically detecting situations where maternal pulse may be confused with the fetal heart rate. The Avalon FM monitors with Smart Pulse use coincidence detection, when the maternal pulse is continuously compared with the fetal heart rate, to automatically detect maternal pulse via the Toco MP transducer if maternal SpO2 or ECG is not being separately monitored.
- The ATOM Dual Incu i incubator and warmer is designed to support and nurture a newborn’s growth by providing state-of-the-art features for use in the neonatal intensive care unit (NICU) and a range of other care settings, with the ergonomics and access to help create a more womb-like environment for the tiniest patients. The Dual Incu i combines the stable radiance of an open-care infant warmer with the healing environment of a closed incubator so there is no need to move a fragile infant.
- The Philips IntelliVue MX700 neonatal patient monitor with integrated PC combines superior Philips monitoring with clinical informatics through the hospital network at the bedside. The IntelliVue Clinical Information Portfolio (ICIP) software captures information such as vital signs, lab results, images, medications and planned interventions, to put needed clinical information front and center.
- NeoPAP Infant CPAP delivery is a sophisticated continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) delivery and treatment system developed to treat newborns and infants with respiratory distress syndrome (RDS) or who are recovering from RDS. The NeoPAP’s developmentally friendly patient interface does not need to be fitted tightly to the infant’s face. NeoPAP has the ability to be used with both CPAP and flow modes, and coupled with Baby-Trak leak compensation technology, gives the freedom to accommodate the needs of the smallest babies.
- The Philips AVENT manual and electric breast pumps feature an innovative design that is intended to help stimulate milk flow in a way that closely mimics the suckling action of a baby.