Philips’ answer to the GLS phase-out: next-generations MASTER LED Lamps

April 17, 2010

Eindhoven, the Netherlands – Philips (AEX: PHI, NYSE: PHG) today announced the launch of a second generation of its highly successful MASTER LED family of lamps, revealing plans to introduce a further extension of the range, which offer a direct replacement for incandescent and halogen lamps.

The second generation MASTER LED range is available in various retrofit shapes (A-shape ‘bulb’, NR63 spot and HV Halogen GU10 spots) with according cap fittings. From April 2009 onwards they will also be available in type MR16 LV, with a warmer color temperature (3000 K and 2700 K), and the entire HV range will be dimmable, while the LV version is two-step dimmable in selected installations.

This second generation range will offer more opportunities while saving up to 80% on electricity consumption (equivalent to €30 per year per individual lamp when used in always-on applications), making MASTER LED the best alternative to incandescent lamps.

In September Philips will extend the MASTER LED family further with a full range of LED retrofit solutions. These will include a 100% retrofit LED Candle and Lustre (clear and frosted versions) to replace the frosted GLS Candles and Lustres which fall under the GLS ban. The range will also feature a 100% retrofit LED PAR 38 (indoor as well as outdoor versions) and a LED PAR 30.

Warmer light and dimmable, now also for 12V spotlights
Featuring dimmability and an improved warm-white light color (3000 K and 2700 K for the entire range from June 2009 onwards), the new MASTER LED lamp family also offers a 4W alternative for the popular 12V low-voltage spotlight applications in which 20W halogen lamps are normally used. Furthermore, it consumes less than 20% of the electricity used by standard halogen lamps and lasts up to 15 times longer with 45,000 burning hours.

The second generation of MASTER LED will be available from April onwards in the professional distribution channel. The new range will build on the successful introduction, in 2008, of Philips’ MASTER LED range, consisting of 7W LED lamps as a quality alternative to incandescent light bulbs up to 40W and 35W halogen spotlights.

LED: the greenest alternative to incandescent lamps
LED lamps are playing an important role as quality alternatives to incandescent lamps, which convert only the first 5% of the electricity consumed into actual light, with most of the remaining 95% being turned into heat which dissipates. This inefficient use of energy led Philips call for incandescent lamps to be phased out. Now, as a result of European legislation, from September 2009 this outdated lighting technology will no longer be available for consumers to buy from stores within the European Union, or for private and public businesses and institutions to order from vendors including Philips.

LED lamps save more than 80% energy consumption, yet they produce the same light level experience as incandescent lamps. The lifetime of LED lamps is more than 40 times longer too, making them environmentally the best alternative to incandescent lamps – without any compromise on the quality of light.

LED lamps, including the MASTER LED range, are amongst a comprehensive range of energy-saving alternatives to incandescent lamps which Philips offers its business customers – including the CFLi Master PLE range and Halogen EcoClassic.

More information can be found on www.philips.com/masterled

Next-generations MASTER LED Lamps

 
Click image to enlarge

For further information, please contact:

Suzanne Kouwenhoven

Philips Lighting

Tel: +31 6 12276543

E-mail: Suzanne.kouwenhoven@philips.com

.

About Royal Philips Electronics

Royal Philips Electronics of the Netherlands (NYSE: PHG, AEX: PHI) is a diversified Health and Well-being company, focused on improving people’s lives through timely innovations. As a world leader in healthcare, lifestyle and lighting, Philips integrates technologies and design into people-centric solutions, based on fundamental customer insights and the brand promise of “sense and simplicity”. Headquartered in the Netherlands, Philips employs approximately 121,000 employees in more than 60 countries worldwide. With sales of EUR 26 billion in 2008, the company is a market leader in cardiac care, acute care and home healthcare, energy efficient lighting solutions and new lighting applications, as well as lifestyle products for personal well-being and pleasure with strong leadership positions in flat TV, male shaving and grooming, portable entertainment and oral healthcare. News from Philips is located at www.philips.com/newscenter.

.