Energy efficiency is a key Green Focal Area for our Green Products. Our analysis has shown that about 97% of the energy consumed during the use phase of our products is attributable to Lighting products. The remaining 3% is split over Consumer Lifestyle and Healthcare. Therefore, we focus the majority of our efforts on increasing the energy efficiency of our Lighting products which allows us to have the largest impact.
Philips is driving the lighting industry’s transition toward energy-efficient lighting, particularly LED lighting, and we aim to improve the energy efficiency of all the products we bring to market by 50% by 2015.Today, lighting accounts for 19% of the world’s electricity consumption – with some 60% used for commercial and public buildings in cities, and around 15% for street lighting. Significant savings – on average 40% and up to 90%in individual projects – can be made simply by switching to energy-efficient lighting technologies like LED. Globally, the potential electricity cost savings amount to EUR 128 billion, leading to a reduction in CO2 emissions of 670 million tonnes.
In 2012, working together with Ecofys, we created a report documenting the real economics of energy efficiency, called The benefits of energy efficiency: why wait?. The report highlights the relevance and potential of energy efficiency to slash energy bills, reduce public budget deficits, reduce greenhouse gas emissions and stimulate job creation, and will be used further in public stakeholder engagements.
As well as providing energy-efficient lighting solutions, we are also offering lighting solutions powered by renewable sources such as the sun. For over one billion people around the world who have no access to electricity, our solar-powered LED products have the potential to effectively extend the day, thereby enhancing life at a social and economic level, in ways that have never been possible before.
We continue engage in dialogs with key stakeholders from both the private and public sectors, e.g. customers, business partners, non-governmental organizations (NGOs), and national and local governments. Through this process we aim to create awareness of the life-enhancing benefits of our intelligent, energy-efficient solutions, and power up the momentum for change.